Prof. Izabela Nowak wrote her master’s thesis on new inorganic compounds at the University of Reading, where she stayed in 1992 -1993. In the first period of her scientific work at Adam Mickiewicz University, she dealt with the introduction of niobium at extra-framework positions of zeolites and later with synthesis of new mesoporous materials. Her habilitation dissertation (for which she won the Prime Minister Award in 2008) concerned the synthesis, characterization and catalytic properties of nanoporous materials for liquid phase oxidation. After receiving a degree of habilitation, she started her own research group. In 2014 she was bestowed with the title of professor. In the years 2006-2016, she was responsible for running the university course in Cosmetic Chemistry and starting from 2009 she has been in charge of the Applied Chemistry Department, at the Faculty of Chemistry, AMU. These two research areas have recently attracted her interests.
Prof. Izabela Nowak paid a number of scientific visits; in 2001 she stayed for a year at the Leverhulme Centre for Innovative Catalysis, University of Liverpool, UK (Rohm&Haas stipend), in 2003 she stayed as a Fulbright Stipend holder at the Kent State University (KSU), in 2007 she stayed at KSU as a Kościuszko Foundation Stipend holder. She was a principal investigator in many research projects (KBN/MNiSW /NCN/ NCBiR, FNNP and others). Since 2006 she has been organizing seminars with persons representing cosmetic industry and she has been involved in organization of many scientific conferences, including Group 5 Conference, Baltsilica-2014, COST Action CM1104, Certification Meetings Chemlab-II. She was invited to be a member of many scientific committees at many conferences (e.g. the Nanoporous Materials conference, NANO, in Canada). Among many awards she has received are those of the Polish Club of Catalysis for young scientists (1995); Young Scientists Award from the City of Poznań (1998); S. Batory Foundation (1999), Foundation for Polish Science (1999), Warsaw Scientific Society(2005); American Chemical Society/IUPAC “Distinguished Women in Chemistry / Chemical Engineering” (2011), Commemorative Medal of Polish Chemical Society (2015), HM Rector of UAM.
- 1993: M.Sc.
- 1997: Ph.D.
- 2006: Habilitation
- 2014: Prof.
- Member of the UAM University Council (2019 - 2020);
- President of the Polish Chemical Society (2019 - 2021);
- Vice Dean for organization matters, Faculty of Chemistry, UAM (2008 - 2012);
- Member of the Presidium of the Chemistry Committee at the Polish Academy of Sciences (2019 - );
- Member of the Interdisciplinary Team for projects submitted to the program called Iuventus plus, Diamond grant (2011, 2012 - still);
- Chair of the Steering Committee of the NCBiR INNOCHEM program (2015-2019);
- Member of the Council of the International Mesostructured Materials Association (2018-2024);
- Secretary and Vice President of the Polish Zeolite Association (2003 - 2006; 2006 - 2009); Treasurer of Polish Chemical Society (2013 - 2019);
- Member of the Audit Committee of the Polish Fulbright Alumni Association (2007 - 2013);
- Member and Chair of the Audit Committee of the Kosciuszko Foundation Alumni (2013 - 2016; 2016 - 2019).
- Synthesis and modification of new nanoporous materials, in particular structural/surface properties of new nanostructured materials;
- synthesis of fine and bulk chemicals using heterogeneous catalysts, (also from biomass);
- novel analytical methods in cosmetic, pharmaceutical and applied chemistry;
- modern strategies of preparation and testing of cosmetics and cosmeceuticals
The most important publications:
- P. Szczyglewska, A. Feliczak-Guzik, I. Nowak, Ordered mesoporous silica-supported metal catalysts for hydrodeoxygenation of anisole derivatives, Micropor. Mesopor. Mater 312 (2021) 110691; DOI: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2020.110691.
- A. Feliczak-Guzik, P. Szczyglewska, M. Jaroniec, I. Nowak, Ruthenium-containing SBA-12 catalysts for anisole hydrodeoxygenation, Catal. Today, 354 (2020) 67-76; DOI: 10.1016/j.cattod.2020.03.006
- S. Jarmolińska, A. Feliczak-Guzik, I.Nowak, Synthesis, Characterization and Use of Mesoporous Silicas of the Following Types SBA-1, SBA-2, HMM-1 and HMM-2 , Materials 13 (2020) 4385; DOI: 10.3390/ma13194385
- M.Dąbrowska, I.Nowak, Noninvasive evaluation of the influence of aucubin‐containing cosmetic macroemulsion on selected skin parameters, J. Cosmet. Dermatol. 10.1111/jocd.13649
- A. Zielińska, N.R. Ferreira, A.Feliczak-Guzik, I. Nowak, E.B. Souto, Loading, release profile and accelerated stability assessment of monoterpenes-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN), Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, 25 (2020) 832-844, DOI: 10.1080/10837450.2020.1744008
- P. Szczyglewska, A. Feliczak-Guzik, I. Nowak, A support effect on the hydrodeoxygenation reaction of anisole by ruthenium catalysts, Micropor. Mesopor. Mater, 293 (2020) 109771; DOI: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2019.109771
- A. Zielińska, N.R. Ferreira, (...), I. Nowak, A. Santini, E.B. Souto, E.B., Development and optimization of alpha-pinene-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) using experimental factorial design and dispersion analysis, Molecules, 24 (2019) 2683; DOI: 10.3390/molecules24152683
- M. Dąbrowska, A. Mielcarek, I. Nowak, Evaluation of sex-related changes in skin topography and structure using innovative skin testing equipment, Skin Res. Technol., 24 (2018) 614-620; DOI: 10.1111/srt.12473
- A. Feliczak-Guzik, B. Jadach, H. Piotrowska, (...), J. Lulek, I. Nowak, Synthesis and characterization of SBA-16 type mesoporous materials containing amine groups, Micropor. Mesopor. Mater, 220 (2016). 231-238; DOI: 10.1016/j.micromeso.2015.09.006
- A. Wawrzyńczak, A. Feliczak-Guzik, I. Nowak, Mesoporous silica films with accessible pore structures on iron oxide, Dyes Pigments, 124 (2016) 27-34; DOI: 10.1016/j.dyepig.2015.08.025.